ASHA uses students to assist in various volunteer roles onsite during the in-person ASHA Convention. As a student volunteer, you will have the opportunity to meet and network with your peers and ASHA members. The assignments described below are tentative and subject to change, so we appreciate your flexibity.
Assignments include activities such as:
- Monitoring session rooms
- Disseminating information at registration, information, and materials pickup stations
- Managing crowds and lines
- Providing support in the speaker ready room and at printer stations
- Helping during special events such as the ASHA Awards Ceremony
- Tracking traffic in the Exhibit Hall
- Collecting tickets
- Providing defined assistance for attendees with special needs
- Be full-time undergraduate or graduate students.
- Be available and able to work a 10–12 hour shift (one full day) during the 2021 ASHA Convention, as scheduled.
- Attend one orientation meeting prior to their work assignment (this meeting will depend on the student's scheduled work day). Orientation sessions will be held on Wednesday, November 17, and Thursday, November 18.
- Be willing to work in a demanding, fast-paced environment. Some jobs require spending extended periods of time on your feet.
- Be confident, flexible, and professional.
- If accepted, register for the Convention and work as scheduled. Student volunteers will be reimbursed for the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member registration rate. Credit card refunds will be issued to student volunteers in 2–4 weeks following the Convention.
- Proof of vaccination is required to register for the in-person event. The online verification process is simple, secure and should only take a couple of minutes.
If you are accepted as a student volunteer, you will need to register for the ASHA Convention. To receive a full refund of your Convention registration at the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member rate, you must be a National NSSLHA member. NSSLHA members receive a reduced registration fee for the ASHA Convention. If you are not yet a National NSSLHA member, you may apply for membership before registering for the ASHA Convention. ASHA's Convention registration and housing reservation service for the 2021 Convention will open in August.
Student Volunteers Receive
- Credit card refunds for the NSSLHA/ASHA Grad Student Member registration rate (in 2–4 weeks following the Convention, upon completion of work assignment)
- A special ASHA volunteer T-shirt
- Access to sessions that you monitor during your working period
- The opportunity to meet and network with your peers and ASHA members
Note: Although the cost of your registration is refunded post-Convention for your work, you are responsible for your travel, lodging and meals. Be sure to take these costs into account when you apply to be a student volunteer.
How to Apply
Please submit an application form. The deadline to apply is September 9, 2021. Applicants will be notified via email on October 1, 2021.
Please contact email@example.com if you have questions about volunteering.